This article describes how to quickly create a Megaport in the Megaport network. The Megaport Portal steps you through selecting a data center location, specifying Megaport details, and placing the order.
The Megaport is your interface to the Megaport network, so you’ll need to deploy a Megaport wherever you want to direct traffic. To connect, you can start with a single data center location, however we recommend selecting two different locations to provide redundancy.
Note: Before proceeding, ensure that you have set up your portal account. For details, see Getting Started with Megaport.
To create a new Megaport
- Log in to the Portal and choose Services.
- Click Create Port.
To search for your local market in the list, enter a country in the Country Filter or a data center detail in the Search filter.
- Choose your preferred data center location and click Next.
- Specify the details for the Megaport.
- Port Speed – Select 1 Gbps or 10 Gbps from the Port Speed drop-down list (ensure that your equipment is capable of interfacing with the selected speed).
- Port Name – Specify a name for the Megaport that is easily identifiable as yours, particularly if you plan on having more than one.
- Megaport Marketplace Visibility – By default, the Megaport is private to your enterprise and consumes services from the Megaport network for your own internal company, team, and resources. When set to Private, the Megaport is not searchable in the Megaport Marketplace (however, others can still connect to you using a service key). Click Public to make your new Megaport and profile visible on the Megaport network for inbound connection requests. Note: it is possible to change the port from Private to Public after the initial setup. For details on setting up a Marketplace profile, see Creating a Megaport Marketplace Profile for Service Providers.
- Choose your minimum term – Specify 1 month, 12 months, 24 months, or 36 months. Longer terms result in a lower monthly rate. By default, a rolling month-to-month term is selected.
- Invoice Reference (optional) – Specify an identifying number for the Megaport to be used for billing purposes, such as a purchase order number.
- LACP on Port – Click Enable if you want the Megaport to be a member of a port group. Specify the number of Megaports to include in the LAG, up to a maximum of 8. For details on LAG, see LAG (Link Aggregation Group) Ports.
Note: To enable LACP, the Megaport speed must be 10 Gbps or higher.
The price updates dynamically based on your selections.
- Click Next to view the Summary screen.
- Confirm the selected options and click Add Port.
The new Megaport appears under Configured Services, ready for you to add a connection. On the left side of the screen, Configured Services displays newly created Megaport(s) and the monthly charges.
- Click Order to deploy the new Megaport(s) now, or click Save to save the configured services before placing the order. Click Create Port to add more Megaports in other locations.
- Click Order Now to initiate the provisioning of your new Megaport.
After the Megaport is provisioned, we will generate a Letter of Authorization (LOA) specifying the demarcation point to be applied to your service.
- Click Download LOA next to the new Megaport on the Services page.
Megaport will also send you the LOA PDF via email.
- Provide the LOA to your data center operator to establish the physical cross connect from your network device to your new Megaport.
Once the Megaport has been provisioned and deployed, you have access to the Megaport network and can start adding Virtual Cross Connects (VXCs) to the Megaport. For details on adding VXCs, see How do I connect to services?.