This topic explains Port contract term details. When you deploy a Port, you accrue costs first, then receive an invoice depending on your term. In the Megaport Portal, you can make the following changes to month-to-month or long-term contracts that are on current Portal pricing:
- New Ports – Choose a 1, 12, or 36 month minimum term, billed monthly. If you don’t add a 12 or 36 month term when creating a new Port, you will be billed month-to-month at current Portal rates. For details on creating a Port, see Creating a Megaport).
Longer contract terms have these benefits:
- Fixed monthly cost.
- Discounts based on the term duration. A 12 month term has a 5% discount, and a 36 month term has a 10% discount.
- Existing Ports on a minimum term – Renew a 12 or 36 month term, extend to a longer term, or change to a shorter term. If you renew or extend your term, the new rate and any applicable discounts are calculated based on current Portal pricing. You can extend a term at any time during your contract, but you can only change to a shorter term during the last calendar month of the current term (for example, you can purchase a 12 month term in the last month of a 36 month term). The shorter term will start on the next billing date, after your original contract has expired.If you prefer not to renew, no action is required. At the end of the term, the contract will automatically roll over to month-to-month billing for the following billing period (at current Portal pricing, without term discounts). For details on changing a term, see “Changing a Contract Term” below.
- Existing month-to-month Ports – Upgrade a Port from month-to-month to a 12 or 36 month contract term, at any time.
- Expired Port terms – Renew a term contract after it has expired. After a Port term expires, the monthly price reverts to the current Portal pricing.
How does billing work?
Each month, you are billed a flat fee for each Port. The first invoice is prepaid when you order the Port and includes the prorated fee for the month the Port went live, in addition to the full monthly amount. The Port term begins when you configure the Port within the Megaport network and and its status changes from “Provisioning” to “Live”, or 14 days after you have placed the order – whichever comes first. For example, if you order the Port on the 15th of January, your first invoice will be on the 1st of February, and the charge will reflect the 15th of January to the 28th of February.
Any changes to an existing term will apply from the start of the next billing month.
Note: In the Portal, if you have chosen a billing currency other than the home currency for a market (e.g., USD in Australian market), the price will be recalculated based on the current exchange rates in the Portal.
Changing a contract term
In the Portal, you can make the following changes to a month-to-month or long-term contract:
- Add a term to a month-to-month Port.
- Extend a term on an existing contracted Port.
- Renew a term in the last month of a contracted Port, before the term expires.
After making a term change, the Portal begins a new term on the next billing date.
Note: Each Port in a Link Aggregation Group (LAG) is treated individually and is subject to the same contract term and billing agreements as an individual Port. For details on LAGs, see LAG (Link Aggregation Group) Ports.
Note: Not all contracts can be renewed in the Portal (the option will be dimmed). Contact your Megaport account manager for details.
To change a contract term
- Log in to the Portal, go to the Services page, and locate the Port you want to change.
- Click the Port Details icon.
- Review the contract term details for this Port.
The End Date and Term length are shown. Optionally, click Download LOA to view Port details.
- Click Change Contract Term, and select the new term for the Port.
- No Change – Ports under term will maintain their current term conditions. Month-to-month Ports will continue to be billed monthly. If a termed Port expires, it will roll over to month-to-month and the discount will no longer be applied.
- 12 Months or 36 Months – Ports under term and month-to-month Ports will start their new contract term on the first day of the next calendar month.
- Select the “I agree” checkbox to indicate you have read and agreed to the Global Services Agreement.
- Click Start New Contract Term.
The Portal accepts the new term at the current Portal pricing and will apply any applicable term discounts at the new term start date. The new Term and End Date are shown on the Port Details page.